Have you considered the value of choosing an independent insurance agent? Sure, those slick national insurance agency ads look tempting. With promises of cheap rates and comprehensive insurance coverage, these ads entice many a consumer. However, the promises so clever, engaging and seductive, they’re almost too good to be true, aren’t they?
In effect, they are. And they’re missing the one vital component that makes a standard insurance policy come to life: the local, independent insurance agent.
Mass, big-box insurance retailers
In short, national insurance agencies tied to a brand are limited to offering the insurance policies of that specific company. The agents within these big-box agencies surely investigate all options, and turn over every last stone, looking for the best policies for their customers—at least within the scope of what is available from their brand.
What makes your local insurance agency different?
The local, independent insurance agency isn’t limited to one brand of insurance. These agents can source the best of the best from across the country or within Ohio, and present clients with a gamut of affordable options. But this isn’t the only benefit.
Local agents rely heavily on word-of-mouth recommendations, which turns out to be a big advantage for customers. Without access to the massive marketing budgets to create clever campaigns to entice consumers, local, independent insurance agents owe their livelihood—and their future—to their existing customers. As a result, consumers often get top-notch personal service and attention from their local agents.
How to choose an independent agent
To find a local, independent insurance agent with whom to work, here’s what you need to do:
- Ask family and friends for referrals.
- Check with the Better Business Bureaus for pending or unresolved complaints or reviews.
- Interview local agents. Ask how long they’ve been in business, and inquire about their customer service procedures.
- Go to the office, and gauge the reception you get from the employees who greet you.
- Ask the agency for referrals from customers, and then call them and inquire about their experience—from soup to nuts. That means you should ask about how the agent handles everything from requesting a quote to filing a claim.
Are you thinking about choosing an independent insurance agent? If you haven’t had the pleasure of working with a local, independent insurance agent, why don’t you contact one of the friendly experts at the Spreng-Smith Agency today? We’re happy to talk to you about our company’s standard of ethics and our access to affordable, quality insurance coverage. We proudly serve the greater Ashland area.
Tell us: What do you appreciate about your local agent?